Saturday, July 14, 2012

Rural America

I was recently on several trips through the Midwest, and snapped some everyday pictures of "stuff" I found interesting.

As backstory to these first couple - I ran into some construction (in summertime - shocking!!), but decided I didn't want to follow the marked detour.  I have a GPS, so I can just follow my nose (with its added guidance) and get where I'm going.  Well, that was fine and dandy until the only available road had the following sign:


Now, I've been on worse roads, and I've been on better roads.  But this was little more than an area that didn't have any grass growing on it:


(Yes, one of those sets of tracks are MY tire tracks).

A short time later, I spied these guys hanging out at the side of the road.  Who's checking who out?


This last one for this series will date me.  However, I remember traveling quite a lot as a kid as my parents both liked to vacation away from home, and we didn't always take the "beaten path", which is probably - in part - why I happened to be in this place.  In those days, the railroad and electrical line right-of-ways often paralleled each other.  While this picture doesn't really do it justice, this was one of the most intact examples of that which I have seen in a long time:


The basic crossbuck-style sign, the poles complete with glass insulators and line still strung, and the warm summer breeze just took me back to those trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment