Monday, February 27, 2012

I can't make this stuff up

When checking into my hotel recently, I felt like I had taken on the role of Dr. Phil or something.

The conversation started normally enough.  She says "We have your [frequent stay] club number on file, and thanks for being a [member at the highest level]".  To which my standard response is - "Well, it just means I'm away from home a lot".  "Yeah, my dad's a trucker, so I know how that is".

And then it got weird.

She tells me how her dad divorced her mom after 20 years of marriage and after having three children.  Said I was sorry to hear that, thinking that was it.  Well, he divorced her mom to marry her mom's sister.  So now, she has a mom, and an aunt/step-mom which, as you can imagine, created a certain amount of family tension for quite a while.  And they all lived in the same town of fewer than 15,000 people.

Aunt/step-mom and dad also have a child between them.  After 10 years of marriage, they split up.

And he quickly marries a third woman - a cousin.  And they move out of town and all but disappear.

No, I did not hear "Deliverance" banjo music, but I may be rethinking staying at this particular hotel in the future.......

1 comment: